|Dr Name||Monday||Tuesday||Wednesday||Thursday||Friday||Saturday||Room No|
|Dr. Asha. S||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||0|
|Dr. Manju.K. Nair||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||0|
|Dr. Ajith Thomas||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||0|
The Department of Pharmacology was started in 1952 under Dr. N.Radhakrishnan. The First batch of MBBS students were admitted in 1951 in Medical College, Trivandrum. At present, the annual intake of MBBS students is 200 and that of post graduate students in MD Pharmacology is six.
1. To educate the undergraduate and postgraduate medical and paramedical students to apply basic principles of pharmacology and therapeutics and to prescribe drugs rationally based on suitability,tolerability, efficacy and cost effectivness for prevention, diagnosis and treatment of common ailments
2. To facilitate basic and applied research that significantly advances current pharmacological knowledge. To promote drug based research and participate in clinical trials and scientific works.
3. To evaluate ethics and scientific procedures in basic and Applied research in Pharmacology
4. Monitor and evaluate adverse drug reactions and promote the concept of Pharmacovigilance
The department provides facilities for training students in undergradute courses both MBBS & BDS as well as post graduates in MD Pharmacology (since early 1960’s). Pharmacology training is also provided for MDS
Other paramedical courses for which training in pharmacology:
1.Adverse drug reaction monitoring centre
This college has been selected as one of the Adverse drug reaction monitoring centres
(AMC) under the pharmacovigilance programme of india (PvPI). All the adverse drug reactions reported from the clinical departments of our college are assesed for causality and then uploaded to the National pharmacovigilance centre, Ghaziabad to be further transmitted to the WHO Uppsala monitoring centre Sweden.
2. IEC (Institutional Ethics Committee)
The department convenes the IEC every month to decide on the ethical aspects of the Research protocols submitted and follow up of all ongoing clinical trials. The Head of the department of Pharmacology is the member secretary of Institutional Ethics committee.
3. IAEC (Institutional Animal Ethics committee)
The department convenes the IAEC regularly to decide on the ethical aspects of use of animals in Research conducted in our institution as submitted .The Head of the department of Pharmacology is the Chairman of Institutional Animal Ethics committee
4. Conduct Induction classes for House surgeons yearly
1. Clinical Pharmacology cum postgraduate research Lab
2. Experimental lab for the Postgraduates
3. Experimental Demonstration Lab for the undergraduates
4. Drug Museum
5. Department Library with reference texts
6. e - books and e- journals
7. Access to Central Library and Learning and Resource Centre