Head of Department: Dr. K. Renuka
Started year: 1951
Anatomy is the branch of biology concerned with the study of the structure of organisms and their parts. Anatomy is inherently tied to embryology, comparative anatomy, evolutionary biology, and phylogeny, as these are the processes by which anatomy is generated over immediate (embryology) and long (evolution) timescales. Human anatomy is one of the basic essential sciences of medicine.
The discipline of anatomy is divided into macroscopic and microscopic anatomy. Macroscopic anatomy, or gross anatomy, is the examination of an animal's body parts using unaided eyesight. Gross anatomy also includes the branch of superficial anatomy. Microscopic anatomy involves the use of optical instruments in the study of the tissues of various structures, known as histology, and also in the study of cells.
Department of Anatomy started in 1951 headed by Dr. T.V. Mathew with MBBS 60 students.
MBBS Student strength increased to 200 in 1979.
PG MD Anatomy started in 1963 with 2 seats.
PG seats enhanced to 4 seats in 2011.
No. of Professors: 1
No. of Associate Professors: 3
No. of Assistant Professors: 10
No. of Lecturers: 1
No of Junior Residents: 13
Following Paramedical courses are conducted in this department.
1. B.Sc Nursing
2. B.Sc MLT
3. B. Sc Optometry
4. BCVT (Bachelor of Cardio Vascular Technology).
5. B.Sc. Perfusion Technology
6. B.A.S.L.P (NISH)
Other than MD Anatomy we are conducting following PG courses:
2. M.Ch Plastic Surgery
3. M.Ch Neurosurgery
6. M.Sc CND
7. Ph.D (Neurosciences)
Following Diploma courses are also conducted:
1. D.R.T (Diploma in Radiation Technology)
2. Diploma (Combined ) SCTIMST
1. Museum is open for visitors with prior sanction from the Principal.
2. Exhibitions are conducted for general public periodically.
3. Specimens are given to conduct exhibition outside the campus with prior sanction from the Principal.
4. Self body donation will be received in the department.
5. Embalming of cadavers done for study purpose.
6. Embalming of cadavers for general public within the state and for transport abroad.
Dr. Sheela and Dr. K.M. Pandalai did research on hypothalamus. They won gold medals.
Some of the staff members have presented research papers at state , national & international level.
Multiple International research papers were published by the members of staff.
Renovation of department in 2015.
Dr. Doris George Yohannan , PG student, got 1st rank in MD Anatomy Examination in June 2014.
Dr. Reshmi. R , PG student, got 1st rank in MD Anatomy Examination in November 2014.
A proposal is given to set up a research lab.
Dr Umesan K.G. received the Dr K.M. Pandalai memorial award for the best paper presentation in 2015
|Dr. Renuka K